LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Sewellia spp.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Sewellia spp.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 107 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

This is wonderful documentation Charles and yes please do make a pdf of the Amazonas page(s) – it will surely help when writing profiles.

P.s. do I understand correctly that the S. albisuera pics aren’t yours?

torso
    Participant

P.s. do I understand correctly that the S. albisuera pics aren’t yours?
    [/quote]
    yes. Matt. I asked for more pics some time ago and I got the permission to post it

Menu
    Participant

Great information Charles!

These three specimen are about 6cm long and all colored differently.

Pic 1 and 2 is the same fish, usually darker in color but sometimes brighter.
    The head shape is slightly rounded.

This variant is brighter and have a pointed head shape.

…and this variant is slightly yellow and the markings are a bit faded.

difficult to say whether they change the color in this size yet?

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Menu those are great photos too.

Menu
    Participant

Of course, Matt!
    If you need more let me know, I have many good pics of various Sewellia types.
    These are some of them …

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21744
    http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21384

Matt
    Keymaster

Awww thanks for reducing the pic size!

Plaamoo
    Participant

A few quick vids of mine feeding on NLS wafer. Not sure whether to post here or in pics & vids? Didn’t want to start a new thread so here they are.

Matt
    Keymaster

Just edited your post so the vids appear inline Jim and definitely think it’s useful to post them here. The fish look great!

Started adding Sewellia profiles today.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Thanks Matt. I really like these! They are so much more fun to watch than my lineolata, who seem to hide most of the time. Of course there’s nowhere to hide in this Q-tank, but they don’t seem shy at all and eat anything!

Kajsa12
    Participant

Nice vids Jim.

I think I can see who’s the boss in the tank.

Matt
    Keymaster

Just out of interest what diagnostic characters have been used to separate S. albisuera from S. sp. ‘spotted’? This from the description:

Sewellia albisuera is distinguished from all other members of the genus by the following combination of characters: dorsum of head, body and base of paired fins with whitish reticulated OR WHITISH SPOTTED pattern’

and again:

‘Dorsum of head, body and paired fin bases with numerous dark brown to black lines forming a reticulated pattern. Colour pattern on dorsum dark with WHITISH SPOTS IN SOME SPECIMENS’

S. albisuera also occurs syntopically with S. lineolata and the first imports of S. sp. ‘spotted’ came mixed in with that species.

Has there been any official confirmation from Freyhof that S. sp. ‘spotted’ isn’t S. albisuera???

Matt
    Keymaster

So I decided to chance my arm and write to Dr. Freyhof.

torso
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jan 21 2011, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    So I decided to chance my arm and write to Dr. Freyhof. http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?f=…ewellia#p186915

it’s a pity that this publication is out of reach.
    the list of Ngyuen contains 57 species from acantopsis to vanmanenia; 1 gen. nov. = parasewellia, 25 new species.
    “new” are amongst others: parasewellia tetralobata, monolobata, polylobata; sewellia songboensis, trakhucensis, brevis, analis.
    all 57 species described by Nguyen. it’s hard to believe!

J. Freyhof confirmed the high possibility of the species shown by dalenewcomer as s. albisurea some time ago. he was asthonished to see it in trade because the species occurs in one stream only which is highly polluted.
    cheers Charles

Matt
    Keymaster

That’s bad news about the habitat. Not sure how useful the Nguyen book would be even if we could get it since I think it’s written in Vietnamese!

It would be good to know which Parasewellia sp. is synonymous with S. albisuera.

torso
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jan 23 2011, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Not sure how useful the Nguyen book would be even if we could get it since I think it’s written in Vietnamese!
    It would be good to know which Parasewellia sp. is synonymous with S. albisuera.

exacly Matt.
    I remember a discussion on petfrd where there was a statement, that even the pics are not very useful!
    here’s the list
    http://www.aquariophil.org/Nguyen_2005_New…cies_081224.pdf
    may be somebody orders and translates it

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 107 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.