LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Sewellia spp.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Sewellia spp.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 107 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Yes the pics are apparently in black-and-white and of poorly-preserved specimens. this faunal survey of the Thu Bon river in which the only Parasewellia recorded was P. monoloba. Not really a help though since all three species were described from that same river.
    Anyone have: Serov D.V., Nezdoliy V.K., Pavlov D.S. 2006. The freshwater fishes of Central Vietnam. M.: KMK Sci. Press Ltd?

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Charles has Dr. Freyhof seen this fish? Looks VERY similar to S. breviventralis from his revision as you suggest.

Attached files

torso
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jan 25 2011, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Charles has Dr. Freyhof seen this fish? Looks VERY similar to S. breviventralis from his revision as you suggest.

yes, Matt. I sent him some conservated material (spotted juv inclusive). no answer yet

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok so better to include it in the KB as a ‘sp.’ for now then?

torso
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jan 25 2011, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Ok so better to include it in the KB as a ‘sp.’ for now then?

of course.
    that makes now at least 5 uncertain/undescribed species: 1 sp “spotted”=parasewellia x?; 2 sp=breviventralis then elongata; 3 sp “new elongata”; 4 Kamphols elongata/new species; 5 sp=”breviventralis” above; 6 sp aff.nr. 3.
    hope you can put some order …

Matt
    Keymaster

Just returning to this fish briefly it actually seems to compare more favourably with S. diardi than S. breviventralis. Any opinions?

Also, if Roberts’ description was accurate none of the fish pictured here can be S. elongata because he states that the underside of the paired fin rays are covered in melanophores i.e. they appear black. Maybe that’s how Kamphol id’d his fish? A high-res image or two from him could be very useful…

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Do all these undescribed ones exhibit the same sexual differences as in S. lineolata i.e. notable differences in head shape plus raised rows of tubercules on the head and pelvic fins of males?

The.Dark.One
    Participant

Hi

I have all three volumes of the Nguyen Vietnamese books. Very poor I’m afraid. I also have the Serov et al book.

Matt
    Keymaster

Bugger. Owt useful in the Serov one?

Did I mention I hate you?

Attached files

Menu
    Participant

Thats a good question Matt.?
    They differ in the markings from all other types.
    Especially this type significantly stands out from the others.

Looks almost like a S.speciosa but the body shape does not match and the mrkings are a bit different.

Taken because of sexual differences , basically be like S. lineolata only not quite as easy to recognize. The tubercules are not so easy to identify.

The.Dark.One
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jan 28 2011, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    b*gg*r. Owt useful in the Serov one?

Did I mention I hate you?

Plaamoo
    Participant

QUOTE (The.Dark.One @ Jan 28 2011, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    They also have a look of a Beaufortia to me

The first thought I had when I saw them in the shop.

torso
    Participant

it s certainly not: s. diardi because the body-shape is far away frrom the large speciosa-type.; not breviventralis because the head-profile is different.
    head-form is different to all sewellia I know and have seen in pics and drawings.
    but: itßs close to breviventralis
    can you take some more close lateral pics, pectorals and anal region?

Matt
    Keymaster

I think the reference we need re. differences between Beaufortia and Sewellia might be: Hora, S. L. 1932. Classification, bionomics and evolution of homalopterid fishes. Memoirs of the Indian Museum v. 12 (no. 2): 263-330.

I don’t have it.

The.Dark.One
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jan 29 2011, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I think the reference we need re. differences between Beaufortia and Sewellia might be: Hora, S. L. 1932. Classification, bionomics and evolution of homalopterid fishes. Memoirs of the Indian Museum v. 12 (no. 2): 263-330.

I don’t have it.

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 107 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.