LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Some New Shots

Home Forums My Aquarium Some New Shots

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Colin
    Participant

Yeah AF will work fine.

The higher F number (smaller aperture) means that more of the fish will be in focus but this has more demand on the amount of light needed…. LOL stick at it – it’ll make sense!!!

Plaamoo
    Participant

Also love those canarensis Gareth! I’ve never seen them over here, beautiful fish!

i’m not familiar with the new D5000 but I just read the review by my favorite Nikon guy and it’s sounds good.
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5000.htm

I also have the 18-55, though mine is older and not the VR model. It’s an adequate lens and great for everyday IMO but if you’re going to get serious about macro & fish have a look at the 60mm micro and 105 mm micro. An external flash is also important. Not sure what goes with that model but likely the SB600, 800, or 900.
    With my D70s & 60mm micro, I usually shoot on Manual setting, f22, shutter speed 200-400 depending on the fish. Keep practicing with the manual focus. Most fish shots look best if the eye is in focus.

Bully
    Participant

QUOTE (andy rushworth @ Sep 11 2010, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Bully , fantastic pics of beautifully conditioned fish ,like Matt said the Barbs look awesome ! as do the Canarensis /huh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:huh:” border=”0″ alt=”huh.gif” />

Only one complaint no pics of those gorgeous Sids of yours /wub.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wub:” border=”0″ alt=”wub.gif” />

Thanks Andy! /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

The sids are getting more difficult to photo as they now spend about 90% of their time in amongst the stone work, I managed to pick up a stray from my lfs a few days ago for £5 so the group is now back up to 14 <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah AF will work fine.

The higher F number (smaller aperture) means that more of the fish will be in focus but this has more demand on the amount of light needed…. LOL stick at it – it’ll make sense!!!

Thanks Colin, I tried a few shots with some settings but, I got a better depth of field (fish in focus background blurred?) but the fish themselves were quite noisy? I have so much to learn before I can really begin to understand how this photography stuff works, I’m hoping the wife will learn via her course and then relay it to me <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also love those canarensis Gareth! I’ve never seen them over here, beautiful fish!

If I remember correctly, one of the few people that has successfully breed these in captivity was from the US and he seemed to have a regular supply for shipping!

QUOTE (plaamoo @ Sep 11 2010, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i’m not familiar with the new D5000 but I just read the review by my favorite Nikon guy and it’s sounds good.
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5000.htm

Wow, he gave it a glowing review, better than the one offered on dpreview <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also have the 18-55, though mine is older and not the VR model. It’s an adequate lens and great for everyday IMO but if you’re going to get serious about macro & fish have a look at the 60mm micro and 105 mm micro. An external flash is also important. Not sure what goes with that model but likely the SB600, 800, or 900.
With my D70s & 60mm micro, I usually shoot on Manual setting, f22, shutter speed 200-400 depending on the fish. Keep practicing with the manual focus. Most fish shots look best if the eye is in focus.

The D5000 doesn’t have an auto-focus motor in the body, so I think there is a slight disadvantage with the availability of lenses, although, there seems to be plenty about. As it’s officially the wife’s camera we will be buying for her purposes first

Author
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.