LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Steatocranus Casuarius

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Steatocranus Casuarius

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

tbone

Would adding some water jets to the bottom of my tank (to simulate their natural environment, fast flowing water) add any benifit for these fish. The fish are doing fine, they just seem to breath hard and I was wondering if the addition of water movement on the bottom directed towards their cave will aide them in their breathing?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

ndc
    Participant

if they are breathing hard then it is surface movement you need – to allow the gases to exchange but the addition of more flow to them will benefit them as they will feel more at home

dunc
    Keymaster

Yeah, exactly what ndc said. How often are you doing water changes on them?

More flow for fishes like that is never a bad thing – they’ll love it. Are they the only species in that tank?

Matt
    Keymaster

I agree too. If you aim the jets down the length of the tank at the surface you’ll get more gaseous exchange. Plus although they’re rheophilic Steatocranus tend to live outside the main flow of water in the wild so it should suit them perfectly. Got any pics of your set-up Tony?

tbone

Thanks for the replies!
    I perform water changes about every five days (50%).
    They are in a community tank (65 gallons) with some Odessa barbs and some German Blue Rams.
    I will post some pictures later today, I need to clean off some algae first.

Thanks,
    Tony

dunc
    Keymaster

They’re in with Rams?

tbone

I kind of agree they are odd tankmates.

What happened is a few weeks ago I combined three smaller tanks into this larger tank. I knew there would be some compatiblity issues but decided to let the tank sort of “wring it’s self out” on it’s own. The dimensions of the tank is 36 x 19 x 24 inches.

The rams spawned about 10 days ago right in eyesight of the Buffalo Heads with no issues.
    The tank is large enough so that the majority of the tank has slow moving water flow. That is one of the reasons I thought to add water flow to just one section of the bottom.

I think what I will try is to aggitate the top for gaseous exchange and jet some water into one of the bottom corners.

There are tons of hiding places for all the inhabitants and so far aggression is minimal.

Reva
    Participant

Blue Rams are said to be short lived, but I have never been able to keep them successfully. It’s a mystery what I am doing wrong. but it really blows my mind that you can keep them with other cichlids! I thought this type were kept with fiercer types. At least they like the same water quality dont they? wow what an interesting post! What will you do if they breed?

Author
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.