LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Steatocranus Irvinei And Gobiocichla Wonderi

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Steatocranus Irvinei And Gobiocichla Wonderi

This topic contains 44 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  dunc 11 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Mark Duffill
    Participant

My Dad had a breeding group of Bedotia geayi around 20 years ago and his biggest male was just under 8″ and was an absolute stunner, he won a handful of best in shows with it.

It was a few years after that they seemed to appear on the markit again out of nowhere and I haven’t seen one bigger than around 4″, I did have three breeding groups in separate tanks at one point and fed them all differently but still struggled to get them over 4″.

I will try and sort something out later Dunc – weve been really busy with meetings at the moment as we are in the process of adopting

dunc
    Keymaster

Aww that’s fantastic

Matt
    Keymaster

Dood try this article from Loaches Online. I must contact Martin (the author) again as I sent him an email before we went online and he said he was quite happy for us to reproduce both this and “A River Runs Through It” on here. This has jogged my memory! /cool.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”B)” border=”0″ alt=”cool.gif” />

dunc
    Keymaster

Yeah – between that post and Mark’s fantastic post, I think I know what I’m doing (famous last words /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

dunc
    Keymaster

Ok, think the manifold is done.. though I’ve had to cut down the size somewhat as my tank is only 12″ wide.

Still undecided what to get for dithers.. the P. furcatus could be an option but everywhere I’ve read suggests they like heavily planted tanks and that their natural habitat contains a large quantity of vegetation. My tank will have a few bits and bobs but not a huge amount and floating plants aren’t gonna work.

Gogo suggestions please

coelacanth
    Participant

From what I recall about Gobiocichla, you need to be careful with feeding. They are not designed to fill their bellies once or twice a day, they are pickers.
    As for dithers, not sure they need it. In the habitats they come from, I’d imagine they are less likely to use signals from fish around them, unlike fish such as Apistogrammas and Pelvicachromis from slower-flowing environments. Plenty of structure will give them all the security they need.

dunc
    Keymaster

Yeah Fishbase clearly states that the #1, #2 and #3 largest percentages of their stomach contents when analysed are plants, algae and general vegetative matter. I’ll make sure they don’t get too much protein/fatty foods especially.

Thanks

dunc
    Keymaster

It’s running nicely…

Matt
    Keymaster

Pics of set-up required!

Mark Duffill
    Participant

QUOTE (dunc @ Oct 8 2008, 10:52 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It’s running nicely… /ph34r.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:ph34r:” border=”0″ alt=”ph34r.gif” />

dunc
    Keymaster

Haha I know

Mark Duffill
    Participant

On mine the hole in the quick filter cap is identical to a 20mm straight connector so I just secured the straight connector to the pipework and the quick filter just pushes on.

When removing them to clean I have a piece of sponge that I shove into the end of the pipe to stop any fish etc entering the manifold, I also find it best to turn of the powerheads when cleaning because I very nearly lost a bit of sponge into the manifold one day because the suction is so strong I just grabbed the end before it disappeared down the pipe

dunc
    Keymaster

At the mo the tank is full to test the manifold and powerheads, but I only got the filter cartridges this morning before work. I was checking the suction last night to make sure the manifold was working and it nearly took my bloody finger off /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

I had to cut my manifold down though – no centre piping. Tank is only 12″ wide, I completely forgot. No big deal , everything seems to be working.

dunc
    Keymaster

Did get some pics tonight but will post them all up together when the fish are settled in tomorrow.

dunc
    Keymaster

Fish have arrived and are settling in…

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.