LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Stiphodon atropurpureus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Stiphodon atropurpureus

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Barb Man 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Barb Man
    Participant

I have recently gotten a pair of these and was wondering if all I have to do is wait for the male to color up or if I could do something extra. I have already gotten everything to perfection and I even have a separate nursery tank in which are several rocks that serve as the surfaces of most of the algae, along with those I have been offering sinking pellets. I was wondering if something like lettuce would help to color them up

Matt
    Keymaster

I believe the males only show nuptial colouration on a seasonal basis, but would wait for someone with first-hand experience to confirm.

Barb Man
    Participant

I have now figured out that these are not S. Atropurpureus but S. Semoni and have gone on to get another female hoping that they might mate. I was thinking of using my neighbors saltwater tank as an incubator because he has one fish at the time as he has just finished the long cycle of setting it up. Any ideas how to invoke spawning? I will try a temp raise to 3 degrees below their maximum range.

Barb Man
    Participant

I added a ‘Wolf’ goby (I suspect him to be¬†Rhinogobius lanyuensis)¬†to the tank as indicated by my remarks in the Rhinogobius Brunneus thread. The male seems to be content to stay away from him and has started to show better color and lights up when he chases any other fish away from his rock. Wondered if I should get another male or female (S. Semoni) or possibly even one more of each. I probably will stay at 2 females and 1 male because he enjoys chasing them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.