LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

The Aquatic Library

Home Forums The Lounge The Aquatic Library

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

a.d.wood
    Participant

QUOTE (Mark Duffill @ Mar 17 2011, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    …………………
    The thing is these people and mnay more like them have to realise that they cant just go around stealing peoples work

Bully
    Participant

Well that’s a result

Plaamoo
    Participant

I would complain if I found my photos on a site without them asking! Especially a crap site like that. It’s just common courtesy, maybe not so common anymore?

Well done Matt!

Matt
    Keymaster

Hehe thanks! And you were right Jim…they weren’t very good at it.

Plaamoo
    Participant

I think maybe I need to borrow Marks’ sig…..pardon my honesty, I’m from New Jersey!

JazzBora150
    Participant

im sure that people who post pics up on this site who are registered members shouldnt have any objection to a watermark being added to their photo
    they will have the original and if anyone feels that they would like a copy without the watermark they could sort that out amoungst themselves
    i personally have no objection not that my photos of a good quality but to avoid copyright issues i think it should be watermarked
    i also think that going down the legal route is a waste of time and money
    i know from my trade as a signmaker that if an image is changed in any way no matter how small the copyright isnt worth the paper its written on
    we often take images modify the smallest piece and use it with no worry of copyright

i hope this little input helps in some way

Colin
    Participant

what sort of small changes makes the difference? As an example I mean? is flipping it enough or what?

cheers

Bully
    Participant

QUOTE (Bully @ Mar 15 2011, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    That’s simply untrue, copyright is retained by the original owner until such a time that the original owner releases it (with a time limit of 70 years from the date of creation).

I wanted to amend this, was listening to the wife and didn’t follow her words too closely. Copyright is retained by the original owner until 70years after the death of the copyright owner.

QUOTE (JazzBora150 @ Mar 19 2011, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i know from my trade as a signmaker that if an image is changed in any way no matter how small the copyright isnt worth the paper its written on
    we often take images modify the smallest piece and use it with no worry of copyright

As far as I know, that’s not true, more of an urban legend. Copyright will be infringed if you make a copy, or copy a substantial portion of a copyrighted work without the consent of the copyright owner.

JazzBora150
    Participant

found this on tinternet

If your use of a work falls under the fair use provision, then you’re all set! You do not have to get permission from the creator, but you do need to give credit to the creator. “Copyrighted images, graphics, video, sounds, and written material must always be referenced; this is true even if the material is only being used once for a class presentation or project. This is important in case you should change your mind and want to use material for commercial or extended purposes; you would have a record of the copyright information and of where and when you found the material.”

For example, if you use a clip of a song in your PowerPoint presentation, be sure to have a slide at the end that acknowledges the artist and from where the sound clip came. If you incorporate a diagram from a book into a paper, be sure to indicate where you got it.

If the use of the work does not fall under the fair use provision, then you must request permission from the copyright owner to use the copyrighted work. This is the RIGHT and LEGAL thing to do.

martin

JazzBora150
    Participant

next fair usage

The “fair use” provision of the copyright statute allows for the reproduction of parts of copyrighted materials without permission of the copyright owner “for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research.” Fair use applies to ALL copyrighted works – books, Web pages, articles, artwork, music, etc.

As an example, the fair use provision protects you, as a student, when you make a photocopy of an article from a magazine for a paper you are writing. The copy you made is for research purposes; therefore, you do not need permission from the copyright owner.

How is “fair use” determined? In order to determine whether use of a copyrighted work is “fair,” the following factors must be considered:

the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

the nature of the copyrighted work;

the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work (this is considered to be the most important factor).

Unfortunately, it is not a black and white issue. To help you understand, here are some examples of fair use/not fair use.

You find a great picture of the Grand Canyon in a book. You scan it and put it in your PowerPoint presentation for geography class.

Fair Use. You would not need permission from the creator of the picture. (However, to avoid plagiarism, you do need to provide a reference to the book from which the picture came. When you incorporate someone else’s work into yours – words into your writing, graphics into your presentations, etc. – it is extremely important to give credit where credit is due. )

You turn the text from your PowerPoint presentation into a magazine article and submit it along with the picture to National Geographic.

NOT Fair Use. You would need permission from the creator of the picture.

You left your textbook at home last weekend. You need to read chapter 2 for class tomorrow, so you borrow your friend’s textbook and photocopy the chapter you need.

Fair Use. One chapter out a book is a small portion of the book. Plus, you did buy a copy of the book already.

The textbook for the class is only 50 pages, but it costs $25.00! You decided to photocopy your friend’s entire textbook rather than buy it – it’s a lot cheaper.

NOT Fair Use. You are copying the entire book, not just a small portion, and the author/publisher of the book will lose money. You get a copy of the book without having paid the copyright owner for it.

hope this sheds some light on it

Bully
    Participant

Fair Use is another element, which is not in question here. It’s probably best to research UK law and not US law as well, as they are differences

JazzBora150
    Participant

but surely this only applies to copyrighted work
    not all the pics you can get on the net are actually copyrighted
    if i post a pic on this site its not copyrighted
    its just a picture on a website
    the image would have to be registered with the copyright agency which only offer 5 and 10 year rights
    then you could mark it with a copyright logo

as far as im aware in work we behave in a legal fashion as we also do purchase images from stockphoto sites

Bully
    Participant

Copyright is an automatic right, just by creating something original you automatically own the copyright. It’s not something you need to register for. Registering a particular work for copyright might offer you better protection in some circumstances.

So, in fact, those images you place on the internet are owned under copyright by yourself (if they are your original works).

Purchasing work from sites like Stockphoto are subject to the terms and conditions of the those sites, and usually permit you to make changes as you see fit for commercial gain. This is because they pay a royalty (usually per purchase, not per use as in music royalties) back to the original copyright owner.

If you’ve got the time to read pages and pages (I don’t right now unfortunately) then you could look through the Intellectual Property Office website:

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy.htm

JazzBora150
    Participant

my hands are up im outta my depth on this one now

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.