LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Total Newbie.. Creating A Marine Setup

Home Forums My Aquarium Total Newbie.. Creating A Marine Setup

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Adam
    Participant

If I am not answering your questions OR &? being Anal let me Kno

dunc
    Keymaster

Lol no mate that’s fine, thanks

Richy
    Participant

dragged from the past but, did you ever set this up? I’m pressuming not?

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

Hi Dunc,

Its wiser for you to consider whether you want to do a fish only system or a reef type.The easiest is the fish only system.A reef type should start with soft corals and later if permissible go for the hard coral ie acropora sp.

To start off,you must get good quality liverock ie the rock with the most coraline algae.These rock will later help to seed your tank,and it will help filter the water biologically.

I would strongly recommend this website to you http://www.garf.org/

I have been using this site as reference for the last 10 years.

dunc
    Keymaster

Well, in the end, when I costed it up.. it was gonna cost me a small fortune /ohmy.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:o” border=”0″ alt=”ohmy.gif” />

Chiller, skimmer, extra powerhead, living rock and the actual price of the fishes themselves.. would’ve been a wee fortune.

Will check that website out anyway, would still love to have a marine tank – just not at this moment in time

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

QUOTE (dunc @ Jul 6 2008, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Well, in the end, when I costed it up.. it was gonna cost me a small fortune /ohmy.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:o” border=”0″ alt=”ohmy.gif” />

Chiller, skimmer, extra powerhead, living rock and the actual price of the fishes themselves.. would’ve been a wee fortune.

Will check that website out anyway, would still love to have a marine tank – just not at this moment in time

dunc
    Keymaster

It was 27 degrees the other day here, according to my car.. though most days it tops out at about 18 or 19 degrees. The tank is in a conservatory though – the heat in there is insane

Matt
    Keymaster

Hajeddy…how the hell do you make a protein skimmer from a coke bottle?? Please explain!

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

Here’s a brief description of the DIY protein skimmer.You need to get two 1.5 liter plastic coca cola bottle,cut out 3/4 from the bottom and flip the top half into the other 3/4 ones.You will need to glue the joins to form the skimmer cup.Next get a “Sander” wood diffuser to aerate the water inside.A small pump can be connected to the lower half of the bottom and the outlet can be made just below the cup.It may not beat your TUNZE counter current or backdraft skimmer …… but this DIY skimmer i used for more than 6 years.The only prob is that i need to boil the Sander wood diffuser regularly as they get clogged up fast.Here,the diffusers are expensive as well.

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

QUOTE (dunc @ Jul 6 2008, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It was 27 degrees the other day here, according to my car.. though most days it tops out at about 18 or 19 degrees. The tank is in a conservatory though – the heat in there is insane /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” />

We are also experiencing regular strong winds and storm …… something which we hardly see before.However glad that this year

Matt
    Keymaster

Haji no way that centuries of grape production will be moved to the UK unless it’s in a big gentically-modified-fruit factory! Too many people/towns/lack of wine-making tradition and the wrong soil here!

Bluedave
    Participant

There are some good wines/vinyards in the south east Matt, Kent, somerset and the IOW have always produced some half decent wines. It aint champagne but hey, it’s drinkable.

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

Watch a documentary of climate changes happening and possibility of happening in around the world.Happen to depict of what a few C increase in temperature will affect the world …… Shows England possibly can plant grapes and after another increase of +2C … in some parts olives!!

The haze ….. yeah …… its the norm now ….. Probably all of us get lung cancer soon!!! /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” /> Just kiddin …… Australia is producing some good wines as well.

Malti
    Participant

england wines and olives?….yeah and queen will be this months playgirl

Matt
    Keymaster

Wow, Torquay will be the new St. Tropez….

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.