LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Trochilocharax ornatus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Trochilocharax ornatus

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

coelacanth
    Participant

Got a group of these but can’t see any obvious sexual differences. Doesn’t seem likely that all are males, what experiences have others had?

kim m
    Participant

I had some a while ago. Males have red in the caudal, and the upper part is elongated. See the species description on this very site ;)

I tried various set-ups, also very acidic blackwater. No luck spawning them whatsoever :(

coelacanth
    Participant

I’ve got to say, I don’t thinik I’ve ever seen an individual in a shipment that looks like that female, all the ones I can recall seeing have been like a male to varying degrees of ornate appearance. I find it hard to believe though that males are being preferentially sent on such a small fish, or that there is some other reason why females are not turning up. I’ll go have a closer look at our fish and maybe do the same with those in retailers.

kim m
    Participant

I had mine from Aqua Global/Ingo and there were plenty of each sex in the tank. I took 10 home, 5 of each sex. I had them for over a year and they did not change appearance. So i am pretty confident in the sexual dimorphism.

I have never seen them anywhere here in Denmark so I don’t know how the rates normally are between the sexes in shipments.

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

coelacanth
    Participant

Ah, cool, knew there was one but for some reason I couldn’t find it. Interesting the paucity of females. Will have a closer look, these came from Aqualife and looking at the weather forecast it’ll not be a weekend for fishing so might head back over after work.. 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.