LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Trying to Save Hillstream Loaches (Gastromyzon spp.)

Home Forums My Aquarium Trying to Save Hillstream Loaches (Gastromyzon spp.)

Viewing 2 posts - 46 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author

Plaamoo
    Participant

@mikev said:
    No, do not look there, it is all wrong. The article confuses a disease with a symptom.

Today I lost another gastro but unlike the others, this one seemed to have died from something that made parts of its skin white/lighter than the rest.

Inability to control coloration is not usually a symptom of a particular disease, it is a symptom of general weakening due to a disease. It does not allow to diagnose the disease or suggest a particular treatment. Yes, the disease is often bacterial, but thinking that Maracyn+Maracyn2 would work in most cases is wrong, this is not a very strong antibiotic combination. And chemical poisoning may lead to similar symptoms (btw, some strains of cyanobacteria release poisons).

I would not consider one case after months of quarantine as an indication of a bacterial disease in the tank… sometimes fish just dies and gets weaker before dying. Now, if you get a 2nd case like this within a month, treat.

So there’s no possible benefit from reading about and considering a very similar situation? ALL wrong? I disagree.

mikev
    Participant

The article is based on a single occurrence of the problem in which M+M2 worked. I’ve seen several where it did not. In a couple of them Furan2 worked.

The other problem is that the article is about new loaches which could bring in an acute bacterial illness. This is not so likely to occur with fish that was owned for a few months….

Viewing 2 posts - 46 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.