LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Tumor? Bgk Problem

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Tumor? Bgk Problem

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

So it sounds like ascites. This would point towards it being related to the dysfunction of one or more internal organs Richy.

Edit: another thought just occured to me. I don’t know at what age these become sexually mature, but could it be an egg-bound female?

dunc
    Keymaster

QUOTE(Matt @ May 28 2008, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Edit: another thought just occured to me. I don’t know at what age these become sexually mature, but could it be an egg-bound female?

I thought it was near impossible to keep BGKs together because of their electrical fields?

Richy
    Participant

Egg bound, I have no idea mate. There’s so little positive id on things about the bgk’s, sexing/breeding/maturity etc so I can’t say. I only know of 1 document online showing eggs, then small fry stages which was in brisbane but no info about the setups, size/age of photo’s of parents etc.
    BGK’s can live together depending on tank size, the electric pulses they send out are for communicating with each other aswell as for hunting and locating food. Mixing with other different species of “electric” fish is normally advised against as they have different sound outputs. This is why people advise not to keep a BGK with an elephant nose, 2 different sound waves which can cause conflict/confusion.
    As to the biology/anatomy statements, could you shed more light on the subject of how “if possible” could I rectify the problems if it is this?
    I’m not a biologist so replies in plain english please lol

Out of the 3 forum’s I’ve posted this on, THIS FORUM has definatley been the most positive /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” /> or run it’s course /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” /> /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

Thanks once again

keith565
    Participant

hmm, i still think it could be a fluid filled cyst as it feels like pushing a finger into a balloon. two ideas, run with melafix/pimafix, won’t do any harm trying them.
    or, using a very small syringe and needle, try drawing the fluid off. wrap the fish in a wet towel and cover the face, usually they settle and can be held like this for several minutes so long as the gills are kept wet.
    draw off what you can and see if it fills up again after 24 hours.
    also, if you can get hold of some maracyn or metronidazole (flagyl), this may well help.
    i wish we could help more.
    do u have a vet who specializes in exotic animals, they may help diagnose and it’s not too expensive.

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE(keith565 @ May 29 2008, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    hmm, i still think it could be a fluid filled cyst as it feels like pushing a finger into a balloon. two ideas, run with melafix/pimafix, won’t do any harm trying them.
    or, using a very small syringe and needle, try drawing the fluid off. wrap the fish in a wet towel and cover the face, usually they settle and can be held like this for several minutes so long as the gills are kept wet.
    draw off what you can and see if it fills up again after 24 hours.
    also, if you can get hold of some maracyn or metronidazole (flagyl), this may well help.
    i wish we could help more.
    do u have a vet who specializes in exotic animals, they may help diagnose and it’s not too expensive.

use a 2ml syringe if you’re gonna do that, as an insulin one which is smaller may not be good enough to get the fluids

Matt
    Keymaster

Just to second what Richy said, you can keep these together. They do develop quite complex hierarchies though so it’s generally recommended to keep a single fish or three or more to prevent excessive bullying.

By “biology/anatomy statements” are you referring to the ascites I mentioned mate? If so there’s usually little that can be done if internal organ problems are the cause. I’d go with Keith’s suggestions first as it could easily be a cyst and even if the treatments mentioned don’t have an effect at least you’ll be eliminating possibilities.

Keith do you reckon Richy should try the Melafix first?

Richy
    Participant

Matt, by “biology/anatomy” i just meant in general, not one specific thing as we don’t know exactly what it is yet but I do think we’re getting somewhere /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />
    Where would the best place be to get a needle from as I don’t think doctors or vets will just hand them out easily.

I can’t see any harm in using melafix as it is for internal bacterial infections and other things. There wouldn’t be any harm using both at the same time either as they’re designed to work together in needed /unsure.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:unsure:” border=”0″ alt=”unsure.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

Have you dosed it then mate?

Richy
    Participant

No as I don’t have any. By the time i got in and read the replies my lfs was shut so i’ll go and borrow theirs tomorrow

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE(Richy @ May 29 2008, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    No as I don’t have any. By the time i got in and read the replies my lfs was shut so i’ll go and borrow theirs tomorrow

Richy
    Participant

QUOTE(Malti @ May 29 2008, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    from a local pharmacy or a local health center…ask for 2ml ones with a green needle (colour here is gauge size, should be same everywhere) if you were in malta i’d give you myself, I work at a HC

I think I’ll print this thread out and take it incase they think i’m a junkie /huh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:huh:” border=”0″ alt=”huh.gif” />
    Thanks

Matt
    Keymaster

If they say no take the printout to the vet.

Richy
    Participant

chemist might be ok as i told them what i wanted the epsom salts for when i asked for them. Hopefully they’ll remember but will go to vet after if they say no. Printout will be with me, no worries /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Malti
    Participant

nah junkies use insulin ones…we give them out free to them

Richy
    Participant

Hi, well i got some melafix and dosed the tank. About 1 hour later i noticed the lump swollen further again (5pm) just like when i did the 10 min epsom salt dip. It has now gone back down to what it was prior to treating.
    I called into a chemist for the needle but they said they done have them, just 5 ml syringe, no needles. I called into a local vet’s and they gave me a one which they use for dog/cat vaccines.
    2.5ml syringe with 5/8″ 23g needle. They said they don’t sell them so they gave me 2 for free but i gave them my loose change for charity boxs

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.