LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Ulster Exile's Tanks And Fish

Home Forums My Aquarium Ulster Exile's Tanks And Fish

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Richy
    Participant

QUOTE(ulster exile @ May 26 2008, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I’d love to have the vision that George Farmer & co have when it comes to designing a tank but like you Dunc, I lack creativity.

Shut up, there’s nothing wrong with it, it’s great and I love the wood too. Stop putting yourself down as most people would give their right arm for your tank!! /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />
    I love them cory’s /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />
    Great work and accept the compliments your getting

ulster exile

Richy
    Participant

QUOTE(ulster exile @ May 26 2008, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />
    Wood, I actually just got the web addy from a mate today for Unipac but haven’t looked yet. I love the driftwood I have but might swap to Sumatran instead, see, none of us are happy lol

Eyrie
    Participant

Impressive as always, with a lovely natural look to it. Much better than a clinically planned layout

ulster exile

Thank you both

Richy
    Participant

does the Redmoor and Sumatran release many tannings like normal driftwood or mopani?

Matt
    Keymaster

I use that redmoor stuff in my Betta tank. It’s beautiful but the two bits I got took months to cure. They developed some kind of nasty slime-mould on them which kept coming back and stunk the fish room out.

ulster exile

Richy, I didn’t have any bother with tannins that I noticed and it didn’t slime up either – I get the impression from the stuff I saw was very dry so I’m not sure that there was any moisture left in it for fungus to develop.

The sumatran stuff from the wee tank was a totally different story and went like Matt’s!

Richy
    Participant

I’m not bothered about tannin’s as I like it but this slime/mould stuff is a little concern for me though

ulster exile

A lot of wood gets it ime – I’ve had bogwood, mopani and the sumatran stuff get it to a greater or lesser degree. Everything I have read and experienced of this first hand leads me to believe that it is harmless to the fish and the tank and it will go away in time.

This was the sumatran at its worst…

but it cleared up on its own.

Richy
    Participant

I’ve seen white markings on driftwood in many lfs’s(on shelves) but never had the problem myself so from looking at your photo it’s very discouraging to me. Think i’ll stick with my wood for now but i’ll keep this in mind for the future, thankyou

Matt
    Keymaster

Yeah I’ve found that furry stuff harmless to fish too. The mould that developed on the redmoor wood was a different type tough. It discoloured everything, absolutely reeked and was clearly sucking oxygen out of the water. This is no sleight on the product as I should have boiled it to get rid of any fungal/mould spores.

ulster exile

Latest picture of the tank – it’s turned into a bit of a jungle of late. The big Hygrophilia on the right just won’t stop growing and as I’ve moved my spraybar to the side of the tank instead of at the back (there’s a second filter on the other side waiting to be switched on when we get around to figuring out how to get it to a plug) it’s being pushed into the tank considerably.

Two of the three bunches of wendtii have gone and I’m waiting on some blyxa and some c. parva to put in (somewhere). The dwarf sag is not so dwarf anymore and it’s getting very BIG

Attached files

dunc
    Keymaster

Wow UE, that is something else /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

ulster exile

Thanks Dunc

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.