LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Upside Down Catfish (Synodontis nigriventris)

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Upside Down Catfish (Synodontis nigriventris)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Reva
    Participant

My little Synodontis nigriventris is full grown and about the length of my little finger. He’s always “becoming one with the driftwood), and I never see him, so he’s not as fun as my Feather Fin Squeeker in the rainbow tank. The Leopard Bush Fish outgrew the 37gal tank, and I moved them to a 50gal. So there was nothing left in a well planted 37 except a pair of Kribs, the little catfish, one golden botia a bit smaller than the catfish, and a pleco, also small. So to please my neon loving husband, I added a school of 20 neons and a few black phantom tetras and rummy nosed tetras, and this morning I have 9 neons……ACK!

Matt
    Keymaster

How big were the neons Reva?

Bigbadbaz
    Participant

Have a good look in the tank for floaters and sinkers (dead ones) also check your filter if it is an external. That is a lot of fish to go missing in one go, especiallly as their tankmates are not very big.

Reva
    Participant

Well, I tested the water quality and it was good…even added black water extract. It’s a well planted tank, but much of that is java fern on big bogwood, so I took out all of the big pieces, and found no corpses. The neons were about 1/2″ Matt. I found that many of the neons were hiding, but three were missing entirely. The catfish was bigger than I thought once I got HER out of the bogwood and into a bag. I moved the Golden botia…will find which kind in the knowledge base…into my parrot cichlid tank with some yoyos, and traded the syno cat for three corydoras….as of this morning, everything is fine, nobody missing etc. and the biggest fish in there are the pair of Kribs (who are now thrilled that there is no competition for any of the caves)

Perhaps they just died of shock (shocked to be in a nice tank). I did the no-no and bought them from a not so nice fish store (the neons that is), because they were 10 for eight dollars…shoulda paid more at the good store…perhaps the catfish was innocent, but I couldnt move her to my big tanks as they all house bigger catfish. Anyhow, I read here that those little synos like to school, and I didnt want two more. Thanks for your usual help.

So do you think the Kribs will bother anyone if they raise fry now that the egg stealers are gone? Can they raise fry in an Amazon bio tank?

David Marshall
    Participant

My guess is that the Kribensis are your ‘fish killers’?

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

The kribs will probably breed in that tank Reva yep and they can be aggressive little buggers so your plec may take a bit of a hiding if it gets too close.

Reva
    Participant

Hmmmmmmm, so you both think the Kribs should move? To me they are the star of the show

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Reva

I think I would try moving the Kribensis and see if this ended the Neon loss?

Regards David

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (David Marshall @ Feb 6 2009, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hey Reva

I think I would try moving the Kribensis and see if this ended the Neon loss?

Regards David

/ohmy.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:o” border=”0″ alt=”ohmy.gif” />

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.