LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Vieja Melanurus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Vieja Melanurus

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  johnpeten 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

johnpeten
    Participant

Vieja melanurus is endemic to our area and therefore not often found in Aquariums. They do exist in some enthusiasts collections.
    My latest batch of cichlids from the Lake has now settled and is feeding well. The new V. melanurus are the largest that I have received so far and are about 7 cms. They are not timid, as were the smaller ones that I received. They come boldly to the surface at feeding time and make threatening gestures to other fish equal or larger than themselves.
    We notice that individuals can be identified by the different patterns of their markings. Also in younger fish the first blotch is missing.
    A photo found on the web of a young adult caught in Lake Peten shows the dark blotches below the dorsal fin.

I took a still from a video to obtain this picture of an adult.
    We now hope that our youngsters will grow rapidly and start showing some of the spectacular colours.
    http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p143/BI…nt=100_2022.flv

I believe the ” Parachromis motaquensis” in the video is in fact P. friedrichsthalii.

Attached files

Sojapat

Great fish the Viejas , We got some of the melanurus on Tuesday night .
    Can you just go and catch them?
    That is cool !

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Sojapat @ Oct 10 2009, 12:51 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Great fish the Viejas , We got some of the melanurus on Tuesday night .
    Can you just go and catch them?
    That is cool !

johnpeten
    Participant

The two photos that I posted here of V. melanurus are suspect. I have 20 juveniles of different species living happily together. All have now grown to about 6 cms. The V. melanurus are distinctive with their rounded head shape, small mouth and the tail marks that point at the eye.
    There is a similar cichlid with the tail marks but these point towards the lower jaw. Also the other marks are darker, the head shape is more pointed with barely visible dark bands across it. I have read somewhere about this guy, I now have to find it.
    The first two photos are V. melanurus the third is the one under investigation.
    The group photo shows an obvious V. melanurus on the right and the other guy on the left.

Attached files

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.