LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Weather Loaches

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Weather Loaches

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Thomas 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I picked up 4 normal weather loaches the other day and also picked up 4 golden weather loaches at the same time

Thomas
    Participant

N0body Of The Goat
    Participant

Those golden ones look superb, wish I had looked around for some of them when I bought eight of these last year.

Matt
    Keymaster

I’ve heard that some of the fish in the trade might be Paramisgurnus dabryanus. Anyone know more?

Thomas
    Participant

Yes Matt, here is mine (male), found between M. anguillicaudatus. Last year I’ve seen a shipment of M. a. with a few Paramisgurnus again but in a bad condition and many loaches died after a few days.

Here the shipments of Misgurnus are very often contamined with Paramisgurnus.

Thomas

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Aha! What are the main distinguishing factors Thomas?

Thomas
    Participant

Paramisgurnus has no “comma” at the base of the tail and more redish (copper) eyes. And the tail seam (I don’t know what is “Schwanzwurzelsaum” in english..

Matt
    Keymaster

Great info, thanks Thomas. ‘Schwanzwurzelsaum’ = ‘submarginal caudal stripe’?

Thomas
    Participant

Attached files

Thanks for posting. I’m really interested in this species. An Asian grocery store near where I live was selling weather loaches as mud fish. An older gentleman came up to me while I was studying them in the (too small) unaerated styro they were being kept in. He explained that they’re customarily rolled in flour and fried. I posted about them to Facebook, and one of my fish club friends stopped by and bought 3/4 of a pound of them for less than $15. They’re really tough. I think he’s only experienced 1 or 2 losses out of about 50 fish.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Thomas , some great interesting information there , I’d often wondered about Anguilicaudata but had just assumed it was a very variable fish ,[pattern wise ] how many different Misgurnusus’s are there apart from Angulicaudatus and Fossilis ? and the said Paramisgurnus Dabraya ?

Matt
    Keymaster

The other ones currently considered valid are:

Misgurnus bipartitus (Sauvage & Dabry de Thiersant 1874) – central and northern China
    M. buphoensis Kim & Park 1995 – N. Korea (possibly invalid)
    M. mizolepis Günther 1888 – China
    M. mohoity (Dybowski 1869) – Russia, Mongolia, China
    M. oligolepos Li 1993 – China

Plus a shedload of synonyms, mostly of M. anguillicaudatus.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Funnily enough I went to a local shop today to pick up some bloodworm ,and they had some weather loaches that were distinctly brownish/bronze as opposed to Grayish , but they were in rank condition /blink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blink:” border=”0″ alt=”blink.gif” /> its your fault Mark

Thomas
    Participant

Hi Andy,

Hi Thomas , some great interesting information there

Most infos are from Dr. Frank Krönkes article “Asiatische Schlammpeitzger” Aquaristik Fachmagazin Nr. 212. (Schlammpeitzger= weather loaches)

Cheers,
    Thomas

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (Thomas @ Feb 17 2011, 01:35 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aha, then the translation is, um, er…

Caudal peduncle distal bands?

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.