LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Weird Guppy Behaviour.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Weird Guppy Behaviour.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • Author

dunc
    Keymaster

Waterlife’s Protozin is, imo, the best medicine available for dealing with whitespot.

However I’m not sure how young fry would cope with the medicine.. Mr Ford?

Matt
    Keymaster

Do you know I’ve never had to dose a tank of livebearer fry…although I suspect their tolerance would be substantially lower than the adults. Try raising the temperature and see if that does the trick before you add any medications guys.

Ross
    Participant

The temperature is at 26’c at the minute, how high should i go. I have heard that 30’c is best??? is this to high?

Ross and Ruth

dunc
    Keymaster

30°C is usually the temperature people recommend raising to when trying to deal with whitespot. Higher is better but very few fish will tolerate 30+ for any period of time.

If you’re raising the temperature, make sure there’s plenty of aeration in the tank – an airstone or a filter outflow breaking up the surface of the water.

Ross
    Participant

we have a bubble stone at the bottom of the tank which i will turn up whilst the temp is raised.

cheers for the help

oh by the way how long should we have it at 30’c?? 3 – 4 days, 1 week? 2 weeks?

Thanks

Ross and Ruth

dunc
    Keymaster

Andrew wrote a good article on whitespot which can be found here. Please excuse the awful layout etc, as I explained in the other post, the knowledge base isn’t finished

Ross
    Participant

i will take a look at it now cheers.
    i cant keep up with you on the forums /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Ross
    Participant

ok we have turned the tank up to 30’c and i also have some aquarium salt although i dont know the type (marine or freshwater) like it states in the ICH profile.

Also the fish have small white fluff onthem not grians like sugar. Is this ICH or something else. The aquarium is fairly new 2 -3 Weeks old so almost cycled but i do 3* weekly water changes of about 30 – 40 %. So water shouldnt be a problem but may be the culprit. also they were moved from another tank so they may have caught it from there before being transfered.

Except i havent seen any signs of it in the other tank…..

Thanks Ross and Ruth

dunc
    Keymaster

Any chance you can get some pictures?

Don’t treat the tank with anything (including salt) until we can accurately diagnose the problem.

Matt
    Keymaster

Yes pictures would definitely help. Also if you’ve raised the temperature in the fry tank you should probably increase the frequency of feedings a bit (little and often is best) as the wee buggers’ metabolic rate will be comparitively faster.

Ruth
    Participant

hello people /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Ruth, that isn’t ich. It looks like something bacterial or protozoan in origin. Have you already dosed the tank with any medications or not?

Ross
    Participant

hey matt

we have added AQUAMEDIK antiseptic solution. 1 dose of 10ml. it says do this once every 6 days. max 4 times. we only did this once on thurs. and we havent seen any improvement yet.

Matt
    Keymaster

Antiseptic? Hmm. I highly recommend a product called Melafix, although I’m not sure if it’s available in Norway. I’m also starting to think that your local shop is buying their livebearers from a dodgy supplier, as it’s only them that seem affected by these continual ailments. Best of luck!

Ross
    Participant

i havent seen anything like that over here. they all seem to stock tetra products. im going to look in on my lunch tomorrow to see if i can find something like it.

Do you think it might help to remove some of the fry to another tank with no other fish in? or do you think they would just contaminate that 1 too???

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.