LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Weird Guppy Behaviour.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Weird Guppy Behaviour.

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Are the fry affected by the same condition as the adult fish in the pic Ross?

Ross
    Participant

No not really a slightly larger baby ( 1cm ) long has some on it, but apart from that they appear fine. The spots would be the size of their head too.

Matt
    Keymaster

If you really want to grow some of the fry on then you could try moving some of them. Can you try to get a clearer picture of the adult fish Ross or have all the affected ones dies already?

Ross
    Participant

We still have 1 of the infected ones but it seems to be getting better. We have raised the temp to 30’c and dosed tank with aquarium salt and added some ich treatment.

The fish that had the fluff type stuff on them died but the remaining ones seem to have white spots on them like suger grains.

Looks like only 1 is currently infected and seems to be on the mend…. /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />/smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

dunc
    Keymaster

Ich is the most common disease in fishkeeping and although it’s relatively easily treated, it can still be problematic and unless you spot the problem early and treat it early, its mortaliy rates are often scarily high :/

Whitespot often takes hold when the aquarium water isn’t in best condition which makes treating the tank more difficult.

Once you’ve treated your fishes and it looks like they’re healthy again (eating properly, swimming properly, noticeably fewer grains etc), concentrate on getting your tank back to tip-top condition. Do regular (I would even suggest daily) partial water changes to filter the water heavily whilst keeping it at similar temperatures. Doing a large water change straight after a dose of medication can force instant regression, especially where whitespot is involved.

If the fishes are healthy and happy, whitespot won’t be much of a problem.

Good luck!

Ross
    Participant

We are going to start partial water changes tomorrow. We are going to leave the carbon filter out for a few days though, just until some of the water has been changed.

All the young babies appear to have been completely unaffected by the Ich and the treatment, should we keep the temp up until next weekend???

OH the lfs has also said that they would take the Black Ghost Knife Fish too…… now we just need to sit and plan what to put in the tank in its place

All the tanks are beginning to look empty now

dunc
    Keymaster

Although it’s harsh in a way, what you’re doing is better for the fishes in question.. and it’ll be so rewarding once you’ve built everything back up and the tanks are looking healthy and active

Matt
    Keymaster

Judging by the pic supplied though the fish in question donĀ“t look to have ich. A clearer picture would really help Ross.

Ross
    Participant

The guppy in the pic actually died. The only 1 left that seems infected has cleared up almost now.

i think that it may have been something else on the guppys that died, maybe after that the stress caused the others to catch Ich. ive no idea. This last guppy has 1 white dot on its side but i cant get pic of it at all. it keeps hiding and swimming fast past the front of the tank.

Its getting a lot more energetic now tho. i will look through all the pics we have and see if i can find any that may help. but i dont think we have any…….

Any ideas on how we can get good quality pics with a standard digital camera without going out and getting a really expensive 1???

Matt
    Keymaster

Ross mate, in a word, no. Fish are a nightmare to photograph. I’ll be doing an article or two on the subject at some point but all I can suggest at the minute is to remove the fish into a smaller container and try that. Dunc might have some tips as he’s got some super-duper hardware at his disposal……and he’s got a nice camera too!

Lisa
    Participant

I just spent ages replying to this thread and realised I have done it in the wrong place – my apologies, moderators, I am a newby and a biff.

However, I still want to find out if there’s anything I can do for my adult male guppy who is doing the swimming vertically thing and it seems to be getting worse to the point where he is starting to look tired of it. We only have guppies in the tank and we do have fairly frequent deaths but usually the younger ones who we assume have not been genetically strong enough to grow to maturity. This chap came to us about 6 weeks ago as an adult and has been perfectly fit, the other male that we bought with him is still perfectly well. What’s happening to him? I’m confident that the water is OK and have added Melafix and a little aquarium salt. Is there anything welse I can do to help him or is he a lost cause

keith565
    Participant

hmm, it’s always difficult to put a cause to some of these problems we experience with our fish. this is one of them. with no external signs of disease, we are left to guess what may be the problem.
    it is possible he has a swim bladder problem, thus making it difficult for him to right himself, but it may also be such things as an internal infection. there is really no real way of treating this problem except with the treatments you are using. the salt may help with his equalibrium. other than that i would suggest putting him into a smaller tank so as to reduce stress from the other fish/filter etc.
    to be honest i think it is a wait and see time.
    sorry i can’t be more help

Lisa
    Participant

Thanks for that Keith, though I am no closer to having any idea what is wrong with my fish. He is still alive a few days on, but swimming is clearly still hard work for him. We isolated him for a day and kept the light off in the tank. This swimming vertically seems to be quite a common problem in guppies, looking around various forums, but nobody seems to know what I can do for him. On the whole, do we know if fish showing this kind of odd behaviour recover or would it be kinder for me to put him out of his misery?

Concerned of Suffolk

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.