LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

What Is The Name Of That Blue Fish?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes What Is The Name Of That Blue Fish?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

gasteriaphile
    Participant

I just received by email my Seriously Fish Newsletter. Very nice!

Whilst looking at the front page I noticed a photo of what appears to my color blind eyes as a blue fish. I will attempt to include that image here and hope someone can ID it for me. No caption on the newsletter.

Thanks, g

Attached files

Reva
    Participant

well, you’ll get the Right Answer here soon…but in the USA it is sold as a Blue Tetra. So I guess “that blue fish ” will do! /blush.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blush:” border=”0″ alt=”blush.gif” />

thelizzious

It’s a real beauty, it’s a wonderful little gem. https://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?g…orki&id=569 ( I hope this link works)

dunc
    Keymaster

QUOTE (thelizzious @ Feb 7 2009, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It’s a real beauty, it’s a wonderful little gem. https://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?g…orki&id=569 ( I hope this link works)

Yeah, it’s the K. borki. Click the link above to see a full size picture – really a stunning little fish.

The captions are definitely something we’ll do next time – in fact I think we had put captions on but they got lost somewhere down the line… /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

mickthefish
    Participant

it looks like Boehlkea fredcochui, but there are some other Characins that are similar.

mick
    the knowledge base lists that fish as, Knodus borki ( blue tetra ).

gasteriaphile
    Participant

Thanks Y’all. Very good info which helped me to focus a bit on this fish and others. Common names being the “slippery slopes” they are, I wonder how Knodus borki compares with the other “Blue Tetra” I’ve found which is Mimagoniates microlepis ?

Matt
    Keymaster

It’s just been reclassified last month Mick mate I only changed it about a week ago. Here’s the Mimagoniates profile gasteriaphile. Should be kept in a slightly cooler tank that one. That’s one funky font set by the way!

gasteriaphile
    Participant

Not to be confused with the other species commonly sold under the name “blue tetra”, Knodus borki , this species is much scarcer in the hobby. It also makes a better resident of the community tank than its cousin, being less boisterous and lacking the tendency to nip the fins of other species.

Ah! the disadvantages of common names really comes to the fore here. So, there are two entirely different species, in fact in different genera, with the common name of “Blue Tetra”. I think that Knodus is the bluer of the two just judging from the photos. I wonder if they are closely related. They seem to hale from the same general area of South America.

Reva
    Participant

Very nice! Now I am tempted to get some for my tetra tank too! pretty!

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (gasteriaphile @ Feb 8 2009, 01:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I wonder if they are closely related.

They’re both in the family Characidae so quite closely related yup!

gasteriaphile
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Feb 9 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    They’re both in the family Characidae so quite closely related yup! /blush.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blush:” border=”0″ alt=”blush.gif” />
    The family Characidae is very large and encompasses genera that are very different from each other! I am no expert here but there may be sub-families under Characidae, and then within that, genus groups with close affiliations.
    Regardless though, the Knodus seems a very desirable species if one could find it in the trade.
    g

Eyrie
    Participant

The cochu blue tetra is available in LFSs – I have a small group in my community tank.

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (gasteriaphile @ Feb 10 2009, 03:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Well Matt, not necessarily! /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” /> I’ve kept these tetras and found them to be real nippy little swines although I only had 6 in a 2 foot tank. I suspect they’d be better in bigger tanks in large groups.

gasteriaphile
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Feb 10 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hehe you’re right of course but that still makes them quite closely related!

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Feb 10 2009, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hehe you’re right of course but that still makes them quite closely related! /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” />
    Dont want nippy little swines
    Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.