LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

What Type Of Coldwater Fish Do You Keep?

Home Forums My Aquarium What Type Of Coldwater Fish Do You Keep?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I dont really have many:

Temperate:
    Sinibotia
    A. zonalternans
    Misgurnus sp
    4 species of Hillstream Loach
    schistura pridii
    Tanichthys micagemmae

Coldwater:
    Koi
    Leather Carp
    Mirror Carp
    Ide
    Orfe
    Crucian Carp
    Tench
    Gudgeon
    Bream
    Sterlet
    Goldfish
    Wakin Goldfish
    Rudd

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

No have never had problems finding homes for WCMM fry. I think that interbreeding has produced a situation in which parents eat a greater amount of their eggs/fry than the WCMM’s I kept 30 years past.

Strange but true story? A couple went into a new house at Scarborough. They knew that the house had an attic from the Estate Agents description and their deeds etc. They did not venture into the attic, or so they told me, for several weeks but, upon doing so, found an aquarium containing WCMM’s of all sizes and ages. With a sky light giving the aquarium plenty of light not only had the fish found enough food but the abundance of Elodea, coupled with slow evaporation creating air space, had provided a natural system that had kept these fish alive through their neglect.

The story has a good ending as not only did the couple take a great interest in the aquarium but the husband went on to gain a great interest in the hobby and would run an aquatic retail outlet for several years.

Regards David

dunc
    Keymaster

David you’re a veritable fountain of stories, it’s great

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey dunc

Like ‘my mates’ Andy Rushworth and Mick the fish I have 30 years experience in the hobby so have plenty of true stories to tell you about.

Regards David

Phill Austen
    Participant

I have always thought these little fish are a much underated temperate species, (they will overwinter outside under ice) I have maintained them for some twenty five years the xanthic form is more visible than the wild form fish, but they make a great show in the summer, always on the surface.

Attached files

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Phill Austen @ Oct 6 2008, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I have always thought these little fish are a much underated temperate species, (they will overwinter outside under ice) I have maintained them for some twenty five years the xanthic form is more visible than the wild form fish, but they make a great show in the summer, always on the surface.

what fish is that?

Phill Austen
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Oct 6 2008, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    what fish is that?

Oryzias latipes the little temperate Rice Fish

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Lovely little fish them Phill, its a great sight seeing the females swimming around with large clusters of eggs.

I used to keep pairs in 5 litre containers many years ago and then remove them after spawning, its not very often these appear in the shops now unfortunately.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Phill

Lovely photographs. As MD says these fish are hard to find in the U.K. Same is happening with Gambusia species.

Regards David

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.