LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Xiphophorus and Poecilia spp.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Xiphophorus and Poecilia spp.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (kermit58 @ Apr 25 2012, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I initially asked the question of Matt, so thought I should try to offer something to the discussion.

Think you’re getting much more valuable input from everyone else than you would’ve from me Byron.

retro_gk
    Participant

Wischnath’s Atlas of livebearers of the world has a picture of P. reticulata x P. latipinna hybrids on page 274. The author mentions such crosses are “mostly infertile”.

I don’t think there ever has been a successful Poecilia x Xiphophorus cross, although reports surface from time to time.

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

QUOTE (paul thompson @ Apr 27 2012, 02:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yes – all the more surprising that platy x sword crosses have produced fertile hybrids. Fascinating subject area . . .

Which species are we talking about here? The words platy and swordtail are not well defined.

paul thompson
    Participant

QUOTE (mummymonkey @ Apr 27 2012, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Which species are we talking about here? The words platy and swordtail are not well defined.

X. Maculatus crossed with X. Helleri

Bojan Dolenc
    Participant

Looking say platys and swordtails (Xiphophorus genus) are practically all that are for sale in petshops, hybrids between three species: X. maculatus, X. variegatus and X. helleri.

paul thompson
    Participant

QUOTE (Bojan Dolenc @ Apr 27 2012, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Looking say platys and swordtails (Xiphophorus genus) are practically all that are for sale in petshops, hybrids between three species: X. maculatus, X. variegatus and X. helleri.

You just beat me to it – I was going to edit my previous post to include crosses involving X. variatus also. One used to see some domesticated strains of x. variatus where the males exhibited short sword extensions to their caudal fins. If memory serves me right – these males were also more agressive than the wild form?

Matt
    Keymaster

So would it be fair to say that the domesticated platies and swordtails are not X. maculatus or X. hellerii, respectively?

Bojan Dolenc
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Apr 27 2012, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    So would it be fair to say that the domesticated platies and swordtails are not X. maculatus or X. hellerii, respectively?

exactly!

Matt
    Keymaster

Then what should we include them in the Knowledge Base as?

Bojan Dolenc
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Apr 27 2012, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In my opinion Xiphophorus sp. hybrid

paul thompson
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Apr 27 2012, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Changing the ‘recognised’ names would open up a real can of worms. I would keep to X. hellerii / maculatus / variatus and just add a note to the profiles something like “many domesticated colour forms have been developed through hybridization between . . .” Something along these lines?

It is also rumoured that some of the domesticated forms of betta splendens are not pure and may also have B. smaragdina ancestry? But we don’t want to start another thread on this – Do we?

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

QUOTE (paul thompson @ Apr 27 2012, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It is also rumoured that some of the domesticated forms of betta splendens are not pure and may also have B. smaragdina ancestry? But we don’t want to start another thread on this – Do we?

N0body Of The Goat
    Participant

Maybe its just me, but I prefer the look of the wild form Swordtails, Mollies etc. with their subtle bit of colouration. If I ever came across them by chance in a local store, or in a local club if I ever get around to joining one, I would really struggle to not be tempted.

Having said that, my group of 8 Ilyodon xantusi that came from Tim Addis (TDC Aquatics) last autumn are now approaching 8cm and the fry drops are getting bigger (17 I think from a female this last few days)… Even with some casualties over the last few months since the first births in January (when drops were 2 or 3), I think I’m now upto 45 youngsters with their lengthy ~55 day gestation period, which I believe (perhaps incorrectly without researching) could potentially be a single brood from the more common livebearers!

Matt
    Keymaster

Sorry about the lost posts in this thread guys – and it was going so well! 😥

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.