LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Yasuhikotakia spp.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Yasuhikotakia spp.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok I checked with Kamphol and he says that all records of Y. sidthimunki in the Mekong basin, and therefore Laos and Cambodia, are erroneous and instead refer to Y. nigrolineata. It’s actually restricted to western Thailand and eastern Myanmar (presumably the Chao Phraya, Mae Klong and Salween drainages – awaiting confirmation on this), and is still alive and well in the wild, albeit in secret locations.

Matt
    Keymaster

So, it’s found only the Mae Klong and Ataran drainages (thanks again Kamphol) meaning the normally-quoted type locality of ‘Yom river’, an upper tributary of the Chao Phraya, is wrong. This is borne out by the description which I managed to snag a copy of this week. Y. sidthimunki was described from specimens imported into Germany and in the paper the locality is given simply as ‘North Thailand, in streams’. No mention of any Yom river!

Bully
    Participant

Good work Matt, so is it safe to say that it’s still endangered?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I think from what I have found out from speaking to people it isnt widespread but not as “endangered” as it was, I think the good thing is that it is surviving and that it seems to be protected

Bully
    Participant

It’s great news if that is the case Mark

Author
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.